Thursday, November 7, 2013

Gary Null opposes LMA option for WBAI

In case you were wondering what Gary Null thinks about the LMA option* for WBAI, here's what he said  on the air yesterday:

"Yesterday our program began 27 minutes late from our sister station WBAI. I'm not sure exactly what happened except that we didn't have our engineering up there at BAI, so it got late. In the future, if you ever turn on the dial from any of  our sister stations and you don't hear this program  simply call a telephone number and you can listen. This way you're never out of the loop. I also realize that we've had so many new listeners lately that not everyone can get on board, so we've expanded that. The number to call where you'll always be able to hear this program from anywhere in Canada or North America is 619-550-0869.

And that's one of the reasons why I've been saying to  write down this number, because the day may come when I'm no longer there. I can assure you this, if BAI is leased, I will be the first show to go. I will not support on any level corporate liberal Democratic people. Won't do it. My ethics are simply too high to swim in that cesspool. That said, I won't repeat  this, you got my message. But this way you can always hear me on Progressive Radio Network. No one's going to throw me off that, so we're always here for you."

* Pacifica is considering the possibility of leasing WBAI via a Local Marketing Agreement (LMA) or a Public Service Operating Agreement (PSOA). 

Pacifica National Board meeting
This will be discussed when the Pacifica National Board meets  this weekend in Houston, Texas, from Friday, November 8, 2013 - Monday, November 11, 2013.

Check here for more information on the meeting and Pacifica's RFP: http://www.pacifica.org/


Some think the LMA option might work for WBAI. Others like Gary, are vehemently opposed to any type of lease agreement. Our hope is that the success of WBAI's recent fund drive has demonstrated that the station can remain viable without the need for this type of intervention. In any case, Pacifica would maintain some control over what a third party could put on the air, but some feel that it would be a dangerous step in the wrong direction, opening the door to a possible sale of WBAI's license.

No comments:

Post a Comment